It is a NEW YEAR.

Good Morning and Happy 11th Birthday to one of my loves, Mr. Alvin.

Yesterday was supposed to be Mr. Alvin’s vet appointment followed by some cleaning, laundry and baking a birthday cake for the humans; as I already had purchased some cupcakes for the four-legged birthday guests and for Alvin.

Only it did not quite turn out that way.

When confirming party details with Teddy’s Mom, I realized that the pups were going to be home alone while they had to go out for the day.  I immediately invited her to bring them over to our house.  I was only going to be away for about half an hour as my daughter was coming to take us to Alvin’s vet appointment.  Then she would stay for coffee.  Better for them to be with us.  In winter, in Alberta, perhaps they got stuck and could not make it back, the pups would be warm, fed and safe.

I texted my daughter the news of Teddy and Kobi coming for the day.  She texted me back to see if her S and the pups could come as well, and could we move Alvin’s party up. The reason being they would be saying goodbye Sunday to their neighbour’s little doggie who is elderly and ill.  His family has to say goodbye on Monday.  I know how much this little dog meant to my kids. He visited and stayed with them on numerous occasions. Of course, I replied.  We can move up the party. I cannot imagine having to say goodbye to a beloved pet although I have a bit of experience with my grandpups Elton and Penny and that was so difficult.  Celebrating a birthday and saying goodbye on the same day was not necessary in this case.

I quickly decorated, packed the goodie bags and wrapped Alvin’s gift.  Done. The traffic was slow so my daughter texted me that they may be a couple of minutes late; therefore we would be late to Alvin’s appointment. I called the vet to advise.  The family was pretty much on time. I think we were less than ten minutes late to the appointment.  While at the appointment I realized that I did not bake the cake for the humans attending the birthday party.  So with permission once Alvin was finished and the bill was paid; I headed next door to a little place that happens to sell homemade baked goods, and picked up some tarts and squares.  Done.

Back home to start the party.  It all happened so fast.  There was paper flying from Alvin opening his presents while his guests looked on.  They absolutely loved the “chicken” cupcakes.  I gave them each a goodie bag with some treats to take home.  The pups ate and played and had a great time.  We visited, took photos, drank coffee, cleaned up poop (missed seeing the puppy do her business) and had a great time.

Soon it was just me, Alvin, Teddy and Kobi and I was pooped.

But it was fun.


Somehow or other I missed taking a photo of Aspen.  Everything happened so fast.  She is in a video that I took of Alvin opening his present but unfortunately I am unable to share here.

My daughter is sending me some photos so perhaps I will be able to share some of them at a later time.

We had a great party and I found that I can throw together a birthday party in less than 1/2 hour when asked to do so.

Me and Alvin at the party.

The birthday boy this morning a few minutes ago.

Happy 11th Birthday my darling.


I thought that I would share some of my posts from the start of our time together.


Tuesday, January 19th, 2010

Another successful visit to “O”‘s house.  One would never know that she had a heart condition.  I am so grateful that each morning it is getting lighter, earlier and earlier.  Spring is on the way.  Big news this morning.  Received a phone call from the foster Mom of a little dog.  Possible dog adoption on the horizon.  We are going to see him tonight.  The whole family is going.  It is important that Elton and Penny like this possible new addition to the family.  I am going to run out to the nearby “Bone & Biscuit” store and pick up some food and toys, just in case.  I want to be prepared.  Oh, have to get some treats, too!   I am so excited, and so nervous at the same time.  This could be my very first dog.  Wow, this has been a year of firsts for me.  But I am so grateful for all of them.  We are going after supper, and it is a bit of a drive from here so will write all about our visit tomorrow morning.  YAY.

DAY “1” – Wednesday, January 20th, 2010

Guess what happened last night? It was crazy.  Took us a little while to find the place because it was out in the country. But we did.  We were introduced to this cute little guy.  His name is Alvin.  He is a cocker spaniel mix.  Puppy.  They think that he is about one year old.  Has a black & white coat with the most handsome brown eye-brows.  Elton & Penny seemed to like him well enough.  He has a sad story but is blessed to have such great foster parents.  I know that he is going to have a great life.  So no looking back.  Okay, get on with it.  I know.  I am too wordy sometimes (okay, LOL all of the time).  Arrangements were made for me to adopt him last night.  He is on antibiotics and other medicine.  Whew.  Hard to believe – it happened all so fast. One minute we were trying to find the place, and the next we were on our way home with three dogs in the car.  He was so stressed, the poor little guy.  Thank goodness for the “blue blanket” that his foster parents had given him, as he was drooling so bad the whole car ride home.  When we got back to my house – it was surreal.  It was late when we got back so once I introduced him to each room of the house, and he had some water and a bit of food, it was off to bed.  I had no plans of him sleeping in my bed but I felt so “sorry” for him that he ended up there.  He was so stressed that neither of us got any sleep.  I was reminded of my first night home from the hospital with Amanda.  I kept imagined that he stopped breathing, which was crazy !!

It was an early morning considering neither of us slept much last night.  He has to be fed every three hours, and has medicine so I am busy.  Also first full day of looking after “O” next door.  Should mention that I made my first mistake with Alvin.  After he ate his first meal today I thought that I would send a quick email to Amanda.  I thought that he would be like Elton & Penny and that I would have a few minutes before he needed to go outside.  He did not make it.  First lesson learned.  I do not have much carpet in the house and he did manage to miss it.  Thank goodness for that……

Guess what happened when I got home from feeding “O” in the morning?  It actually started when I left the house.  Alvin stood at the living room and cried.  Sounded like a baby’s cry.  Separation anxiety, I was told later.  I made a quick trip next door as I couldn’t bear him crying.  When I got home, I unlocked the door and faster than a real “bolt of lightning” something black and white passed me.  I twirled about and almost fell on my “butt”.   Thank goodness that I had my boots and coat on as I did not have time to grab them.  I ran down the steps,and down the sidewalk as he got nearer to the street.  Man, puppies are quick.  Just as he was about to step onto our busy street, I bent over and swooped him up.  My heart darned near jumped out of my body.  I was so scared.  What a first day !  This was only the morning.  The rest of the day went fairly smoothly.  Lots of feedings, administering medicine and pooping.  Thank goodness he is trained.  As he is not neutered it will be awhile before we can go on walks.  So it will be playing fetch for exercise for a bit.

Oh, the life of a pet owner…….


Wishing you all a great day.

My coffee is ready and I must get dressed.


Always, Carol & Alvin


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow My New Life @ 51 on
%d bloggers like this: